Tuesday 2 December 2008

Rest

Rest. It is a word, people these days, especially these days, don't associate with. Rest. It is a action, people these days don't practise much.

These days, people do the contrary of resting, they worry. We worry about our wellbeing, physically, mentally and emotionally. We worry about of course, our financial wellbeing as well - our jobs and our paychecks. Especially in such times. We see doom and gloom everyday in papers and on CNN.

Rest seems like it's an obscure word now. But I seek to be different.

As some of you might know by now, I lost my job at Michael Page as of last Friday. Honestly, it was like the worst day of my life. In a sudden moment, I felt the crappiest I've ever felt. I don't remember feeling so crappy before. Oh well, shit happens. The company is not doing well and I am more of a liability than an asset since I am just a management trainee there and I don't bill revenue. I am sure, I did my very best during my time there.

And then, there were the tears. Initially, my mind didn't do well in registering the situation. I was like, more dumbfounded than anything. And then, the shock just set in and I was just pure disappointed.

Anyway, no worries, I am more than alright now. I was pretty alright by Friday evening, the same day I was being told to go. Because I know, God has planned a better job for me. Amidst the tears, a small voice just reminded me, Don't worry, just rest and have faith. I kept on tearing still because I am still pretty shocked and all.

And then Sunday came and I was in church. The worship was great and it took my mind off my current situation and I realised that, no matter how crappy my situation is, I am still very blessed. I am deeply encouraged by the following verses:

"Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy burden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

"In this world, you will have trouble but in Christ, you will find peace. John 16:32

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you" 1 Peter 5:7

In such times, I ought to worry, but I choose not. I choose to rest in Your promises and Your peace, trusting Christ's finished work on the cross, knowing that God, You will provide. Everything happens for a reason, nothing happens for chance. When I looked back onto this moment, I know that it happened for a good reason.


I remembered the Sunday before I lost my job and amidst financial crisis situation, one of the elders in church said this,

"Remember to give thanks no matter what your circumstances are because, it could have been worse...

"When you get a pay cut, it could have been worse, you could have lost your job. When you lost your job, it could have been worse, you could have lost your life. So be thankful that we are still alive"

It spoke to me for a reason because it was truly words of comfort last friday.

No comments: